I was born in Toronto, Ontario and moved to Vancouver, BC with my family when I was 12 years old. I have resided in Vancouver ever since.
I attended the University of British Columbia and obtained a Bachelor of Science degree. During my time at home with my three children when they were young, I became very interested in child development and different parenting approaches. As my children grew, I began to think about a future career path for myself and to consider the idea of working with children and families as a counsellor.
I obtained a Master of Arts degree in Counselling Psychology at the University of British Columbia. The focus of my studies in this program was in counselling children and families.
After graduation, I obtained my professional designation as a Registered Clinical Counsellor through the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors.
In addition, I pursued specialized training in working with children using play therapy and obtained my certification as a Registered/Certified Play Therapist. Currently I am a Certified Play Therapist – Supervisor with the Canadian Association for Play therapy and a BC Registered Play Therapist – Supervisor with the BC Play Therapy Association.
I worked with children and families for over 10 years as a Child and Family Therapist in family service agencies, where I retired from in September 2016.
I opened my private practice in January 2004, where I saw children with emotional and behavioral difficulties, ages 3 – 12, and their parents. In June 2019, I closed my private practice and currently I am not taking on any new clients.
I continue to pursue continuing education to stay current in the field of play therapy and offer play therapy supervision to child therapists who have appropriate post-secondary and play therapy training.
Education, Training, and Credentials
- I have a Master of Arts (MA) Degree in Counselling Psychology from the University of British Columbia
- I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC # 2267) and a member of the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors
- I am a Certified Play Therapist – Supervisor (CPT-S # BC350) with the Canadian Association for Play Therapy
- I am a BC Registered Play Therapist – Supervisor (BCRPT-S # S-1806) with the BC Play Therapy Association
- I am the recipient of the Monica Herbert Award for 2013 from the Canadian Association for Play Therapy for contributing to the field of play therapy in Canada.
Kathy Eugster, MA, RCC, CPT-S, BCRPT-S
Pacific Spirit Play Therapy Resources